BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday 11 October 2009

Why do they call it morning sickness?

Seriously! Why would you so spectacularly misname something?!! It's morning, noon and night sickness. And I was one of the unlucky ones who had it until something like week 25 of my pregnancy. There has even been a few days since where I've felt the familiar waves but nothing near as bad as it was and by now I'm much less threatened by it.

It's a very weird thing. It started with very unpleasant waves of nausea that started in the morning, peaked at mid morning and mid afternoon and then lasted the rest of the day and night. After the first couple of weeks it built up to retching and dry heaves at the peak times, then in later weeks there would be at least one huge vomit during those times. It slowed down in week 14 and I thought it was finally over, but then made a spectacular reappearance in week 16 (on my wedding day, thank you very much!!), went away in week 18, returned briefly in week 20, then went away and returned in week 22 - you see a pattern right? It was pretty miserable, especially in the early weeks when I felt awful but couldn't really tell anyone why. I learned to manage it. The main trick was not letting myself get hungry. Eat little and often, became my mantra.

I used to be a huge baby about throwing up. Before I was pregnant I could tell you exactly how many times I've thrown up in my life and you could count them on one hand. Throwing up makes me cry. But now, I'm a pro at it!

0 comments: